The main problem with how to download Panopto videos is that with a video viewer or student downloading a video is not always as easy as pressing a button. If your teacher or teacher has not allowed viewers to download in the settings, you will not find a one-click button to download the Panopto record.
What is Panopto?
Panopto, as a platform for sharing educational videos, has gained great popularity among teachers and students from around the world, especially during the pandemic. Teachers record and share courses on Panopto, and students watch and study online. Panopto is a video platform loved by teachers from all over the world for their courses and other learning materials.
How does Panopto work?
By default, Panopto is set up to work like YouTube: when you give people access to videos or share links to watch them, they will be able to upload videos (that is, view them in a browser connected to the Internet), but NOT upload them. Streaming is very intense on the Internet. Allowing viewers to download and view copies offline can help those who have limited low-quality, or expensive course materials per minute of Internet access.
How to download Panopto videos using Panopto Downloader
The Panopto video downloader you will use is WonderFox Free HD Video Converter Factory, a program that can help you save embedded videos from various websites, including YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion and, of course, Panopto. It is a completely free and clean tool without ads and malware. And it is very easy to use. Below I will demonstrate how to download Panopto videos using this software. Before you start, download the software for free and install it on your PC.
- Copy the video URL
- Go to Panopto and play the video you want to download. Copy the full URL of the video in the top address bar.
- Insert and parse the URL
- Launch Free HD Video Converter Factory and open “Downloader”. Click “+ New Download” and “Paste and Analyze” the copied URL in the downloader. Then wait a few seconds for the download options to appear. Select a download option and click OK to add it to the download task.
- Download the video from Panopto
- At the bottom of the workspace, click the inverted triangle to specify the output path, or leave it as the default. When you’re ready, click “Download All” to start the download.
How to download Panopto videos with Inspect Element
This is an effective alternative that you can try to keep the desired Panopto record. Also, this method works in any web browser you can use. In fact, in the source of the page or through the Inspect element you can find a link to the video. So, you can open this video link in a new tab to view it in your browser’s video player. From there, you will have controls for saving or downloading Panopto videos.
Therefore, for this method, you need to be on the Panopto video page, as before. Having said that, the following steps show how you can open and download Panopto videos using Inspect Element:
The following steps were performed in Google Chrome on Windows. However, the steps are similar in other web browsers, such as Firefox, Edge, and so on.
- First right-click the video and select Check Item. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + Shift + I to open the developer tools or menu items.
- Then press Ctrl + F to open the search box. Then find .mp4 and press Enter.
- Later, if you see a link with the extension mp4, you can immediately select it and copy the link. The video link will usually look like this:
- If not, you can right-click the entire item, select Copy, and click Copy outerHTML.
- Then paste the link into a notebook or TXT file. From there, you can copy the link to the video, paste it, and find it in your browser.
- Next, to download the video, select the 3 dots at the bottom right, then select Download.
- Alternatively, you can right-click anywhere in the video player and select Save Video As or press Ctrl + S.
- In the next window, you can select the download location and file name and click Save.
- You should then see that the download begins.
For macOS (Safari)
Unlike Windows, you won’t find the Check Right menu item in Safari for macOS by default. So to turn it on:
- First open Safari, select Safari from the menu bar and click Settings in the drop-down menu.
- Next, select Advanced on the top panel and check the Show Development menu on the menu bar.
- Now go to the Panopto video page, right-click the video and select Check Item.
- After that, the steps are similar to Windows:
- Find .mp4> Copy video link> Paste and find video link in your browser> Right-click to save video
Can I to download Panopto videos or recordings as the video creator?
Suppose you are a teacher or the author of a certain video on Panopto. In this case, the following steps show how you can download and save this Panopto video or recording:
- Open Video Settings first.
- Then select the Exit tab on the left.
- Then, in the Video Podcast section, click Download Podcast.
- Below you can also control the type and quality of the video.
How to enable folder-level downloads on Panopto
This is the default setting for all entries in the folder.
- Navigate to the folder and click the gear icon or the “Settings” link.
- Click Settings on the left sidebar to open the folder settings window shown below.
- In the Downloads section, change Downloads to:
- Authenticated Access Users – allows anyone with access to or a link to the folder and account of our Panopto license to download. Use this option if you want to limit the workload of Bryn Mawr faculty, staff, and students currently enrolled in Bryn Mawr academic courses.
- All users with access – use this setting if you want everyone who has access to the folder to be able to download entries.
- Apply the changes immediately, press x in the upper right corner to close the folder settings window.