There are many ways to make games download faster on ps4, but which is the best? Here we explain why the PS4 lags behind the competition in terms of download speed, and how you can speed up your PS4 download with a proxy – and don’t worry, it’s not as difficult as it seems!
It seems that no matter how fast your home broadband is, the PS4 loads much slower than on the Xbox One and PC. While some gamers can download huge PC games in as little as 20 minutes, for the same game on the same network, hours are usually downloaded to the PS4.
How to make games download faster on ps4
For maximum speed, pause any other downloads and streams and allow your PS4 to use all the bandwidth you want. Queuing multiple downloads on your PS4 has a similar effect. The console needs to share the bandwidth it has, so if you want to complete a specific download, it’s best to pause other transmissions.
Also, don’t play online games while downloading in the background. As you will see below, this will drastically limit the download speed. It is likely that the download itself will negatively affect your performance, causing delay jumps and connection problems that can put you at a disadvantage.
Why is my games not downloading fast on ps4?
A slow PS4 download is usually caused by a poor internet connection, with no problems with the console itself. Internet problems may be caused by faulty equipment or restrictions set by your ISP. Depending on your online plan, the amount of data you can download at one time may be limited. If you notice that your Internet is constantly slow, consider upgrading to a better plan or changing your service provider.
Your modem and router also have limits on the amount of data they can process at one time. Even if you pay for a high-end Internet tariff plan, you can only use it fully if your equipment can support it. You can check with your ISP to see if you have the right equipment for your ISP.
How to make games download faster on ps4 2022
1. Put the system to rest mode
This mode puts your PS4 into a low-power state so that it can recover quickly. In standby mode, the console is turned off, but some features (such as charging controllers and USB peripherals) may still work. If you enable this option, the system will also download updates and games in sleep mode. After closing the programs, putting the system to sleep can help increase the speed even more.
Many users have reported that using the sleep mode when downloading content on the PlayStation 4 will help increase the download speed. Testing of this statement showed that the download speed increased only slightly, but nothing significant. However, if you’re still not going to use your PS4 while it’s booting, it doesn’t hurt to put it to sleep to make sure it works and you focus on other things. Here’s how to tell your PlayStation 4 to finish downloading when you’re not using it.
- In the main information panel with all games, scroll up and to the right, and select the toolbox icon to open the settings.
- Select Power Saver Settings.
- Select Configure the functions available in idle mode.
- Check the box next to Stay connected to the Internet so that your console can continue downloading at rest.
Normally, the rest mode does not allow your PlayStation 4 to stay connected to the Internet. You’ll need to follow the steps above to change your settings so that it can continue to load your content.
2. Update to the latest firmware
You can’t blame Sony for not trying to solve the download speed problem. Over the last two years, I have seen at least 4 fixes to the dashboard that claim to have fixed this issue. While this won’t give you a significant increase in speed, it can still matter.
A quick way to check if your PS4 console is running the latest firmware is to connect it to the Internet and open the notifications panel. If you are not prompted to upgrade immediately, scroll down until you see an entry with the system software.
3. Make sure your modem has enough bandwidth
The download speed on your PS4 may also be limited by the bandwidth of your modem (router). This is even more likely if you are working with an old or inexpensive modem or router. Even if your provider guarantees a certain number of megabytes per second, this does not necessarily mean that your modem can handle them all.
Before proceeding with the fixes below, make sure that your modem is powerful enough to maintain the download speed guaranteed by your ISP. You can do this by checking the bandwidth and making sure you get enough according to your plan. Another thing you need to do is make sure that your network is not too crowded. Please note that the download speed of your PS4 may be seriously affected if other devices connect to this Internet.
4. Speed up PS4 downloads with a proxy server
The key is to set up a proxy server on your PC that your PS4 can use to download data from the PSN, which should provide the much-needed boot speed to the PS4. Just follow these instructions:
- Download and install CCProxy on your PC – you can choose the paid version if you want, but for the purposes of this guide you only need the free version.
- Open CCProxy and click Stop to stop the proxy (it starts automatically when opened).
- Click Options and find the list of HTTP / RTSP protocols; change the corresponding IP address in the drop-down menu from 0.0.0.0 to your local IP address (there should be only one other option).
- Write down the IP address and port number from the HTTP list.
- On the PS4, go to Settings> Network> Configure Internet Connection and select the type of connection you want (Ethernet or Wi-Fi – just make sure it’s on the same network as your PC).
- Select Configure Manually and select Auto for all settings except proxy.
- Enter the IP address and port number you wrote down earlier.
- Save the connection settings.
And that’s all! Your PS4 should now download games and updates from PSN much faster than before, with a speed that reflects what you pay your provider. The only trick? Your PS4’s Internet connection will only work through the proxy server on your computer, so you’ll need to run the software when you want to download games or connect to the Internet on your PS4.
5. Pausing and resuming a single download
The following fix is temporary. But he served me many times, so I decided to show him. This is equivalent to rebooting your PS4, but it’s infinitely faster. Downloading multiple games/updates will reduce the speed. If you need the best speed, download each file separately.
If your downloads are starting in full, but the speed is gradually decreasing, follow these steps:
- In the PS4 dashboard, go to the Downloads tab.
- Select the game you are currently downloading and tap the X button.
- Select Pause from the drop-down menu.
- When the download is paused, wait 5-10 seconds.
- Select Restore and watch the download speed improve.
6. Change the DNS and MTU settings
This is a permanent fix that I can confirm as effective. By default, DNS and MTU are automatically installed on your PS4 when you connect to the Internet in simple mode. But you can really improve your download speed by experiencing some additional issues.
If the problem is with your computer or laptop/notebook, try using Restore Repair, which can scan storage and replace damaged and missing files. This works in most cases where the problem is caused by a system failure. You can download Restore by clicking here
- In the PS4 dashboard, go to Settings (portfolio icon).
- From there, go to Network and select Set up internet connection. Now it all depends on what type of connection you want to create. If you want to use a cable, select Use LAN cable, otherwise use Wi-Fi.
- For the best download speed, we strongly recommend that you connect to a LAN cable.
- Make sure you select the custom network creation mode. Otherwise the method will be impossible.
- In the IP Address Settings section, select Automatic.
- Now, in the DHCP Hostname section, make sure that you select Do not specify.
- In the DNS Settings section, select Manual.
- You will now be prompted to insert primary and secondary DNS. You can insert two potential DNS numbers:
- Google DNS:
- Primary DNS – 184.108.40.206
- Secondary DNS – 220.127.116.11OpenDNS:
- Primary DNS – 18.104.22.168
Secondary DNS – 22.214.171.124
- Both Google DNS and Open DNS work great. You can check them both and see which one reaches the best speed. Once you have determined the DNS, enter it and click Next.
- In MTU Settings, select Manual.
- In the MTU menu, insert 1473. If this does not work on your console, try 1450. When finished, click Next.
- When you reach the proxy server, select Do not use.
- When you are finished, measure your Internet connection by selecting Test Internet Connection. If you don’t see improvement, don’t worry. Try downloading the game and see how it goes.